from the box

Thanks for all the fish

Thursday, November 25, 2004

What century are we living in ?

Romanian police launched an investigation after a priest complained a tear which appeared on a painting of the Virgin Mary had been stolen. And officers managed to find the culprit ! - a woman who believed her problems would go away if she had the miraculous tear.

The 62-year-old woman was one of hundreds of worshippers attracted to the church, in Parcovaci village, Iasi county, after hearing about the tear. "I thought that if I took this tear drop at home all my troubles would disappear. I went to the icon, I prayed and then tried to steal the tear with my lips while kissing it. But I couldn't so I used a tissue to wipe the tear and take it with me."

Inspector Madalin Taranu said: "We cannot speak of breaking the law in this case and the woman can't be charged for anything. But one thing is for sure: it's the first case of this kind in our history."

You'll be comforted to know that the tissue with the 'holy' tear was returned to the church and placed near the painting.

To all those who venerate these alleged objects, I can sell you a Plenary Indulgence, part of the hem of Veronica's robe and a splinter from the True Cross.

Oh, and I have a special on Virgin-shaped cookies today

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home